Friday, September 9, 2011

Battle won when things are done

There are a few things about living in Detroit that you have to experience to actually know that living in there has some challenges.  In the winter they do not plow the roads of the residential streets. Parked cars are usually parked on both sides with no where else to go with the snow.  So if they get some snow and ice the streets become nearly impassible if it stays cold enough.  Another thing is that extra thought has to be given to walking or being out in the night. Parking your car (all street parking) can be an adventure as there are times when no spaces are available near your home.  I can be just hard work living in the city. 

Deb’s dad has always had an eye for properties that he could buy and then rent out. He is extremely handy and is not afraid to buy something a little run down or as they say,  a fixer up special.  He spotted one of these places in Grosse Pointe Park and offered to let us rent the downstairs for $150 buck a month if I would help him fix some of the stuff.  Now I do like writing, I like golfing, was a decent softball player, but in the area of handy I fall someplace in the D category.  Not totally worthless but almost there. He on the other hand is in the A group and at times this can be somewhat intimidating.  I think Deb has in general been happy over these years with many of the things I do know how to do but I might venture a touch frustrated with my skill and desire level in the plumb it, paint it, build it, redo it areas. I have my father in law to blame for this.

He shares with all of his children another attribute.  They all have the ability to finish a project no matter what time of night it might be.  So it is not unusual that quitting time can be 2 in the morning and I have seen it go to 4.  I can also recall finishing something at 4AM and seeing him be called to one his funeral homes for a late night duty, working the next entire day and them coming home to put the “second” coat on the following night.  I many ways I often think that Deb and her Dad work alike, think alike, and both are challenged by the same things.  No project is too large, and when they are finished it looks like it was done by a pro.  In this way they have a special understanding and a bond with each other.
I can only thank him and his wife now for all the help they have given us over the years. He is 80 now and gets a little frustrated that his energy level is not what it used to be.  He does now quit what he is working on around midnight and resumes the next morning.

On to other things next time……We bought a house in Jackson, Michigan and there might be a couple of fun stories in there somewhere……….

5 comments:

  1. stan, i sure enjoy your writings, i am getting to know you and deb much better thru them!!! and i get a good laugh out of them, that is good for the soul!! say, my husband says he knows you, do you remember Harry Leeuw from JR Automation?? anyway, we are praying for all of u daily!! mary leeuw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally got caught up on your writings since I've been gone on vacation. Can't wait for more! You, Deb and your children are so special! Praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been enjoying reading your blog. We are friends of your niece and nephew-in-law Becky and Jason. I have been following Deb's blog too. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stan....you are a superb writer! Karen K.

    ReplyDelete