Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Amazed by little things

In a day or so we had arrived in Florida and had booked at kind of a modern place.  The designs of that era did not have square or traditional looks.  Instead people thought it was cool to build buildings with octagon shapes with kind of crazy stuff hanging out of them.  I think George Jetson might have had something to do with these designs.  We have since returned to Disney and most all of this stuff is torn down and replaced now but then it all looked kind of modern. I am not sure it was all that practical. Much of Disney World was about the future and these ideas were all over the place.  We arrived around 2 in the afternoon. I can recall it like yesterday because they handed me a key to the room that was nothing more than a plastic card with a bunch of holes punched in it.  I remember making a special point of this as I showed Deb the modern key I was holding,  It was a warm afternoon, the sun was out and my new wife wanted to go swimming.

Every relationship must have its first big argument and once we were in this place we had one.  Deb came out of the bathroom with what had to be the smallest bikini I had ever laid eyes on even by today's standards.  I was worried that the State of Florida must have some sort of law banning this kind of thing. I had heard that the patrons of the Disney area were of a slightly more conservative demeanor and I was not interested in getting kicked out of the place before we even got to stay the night.  This thing was black with sort of a flame pattern and even the strings that held the thing together had the appearance that the slightest wind or interruption in climate could lead to an embarrassing moment. Trying to spare her a moment such this I asked if she had anything more conservative but she insisted  to stay with it and on down to the pool she went.

Now do you for one minute believe anything about that last paragraph?  Because it is nothing more than a pack of lies. I was concerned that these writings were getting a little boring and I just threw that in   Am I allowed to do that?  I will not do again as I am attempting to make this all as factual as I can.  We did go down to the pool in more conventional swimwear and enjoyed an afternoon in the Florida sun.

The next morning we were off to Disney. At that time they only had the Magic Kingdom.  The whole place was built on technology that was a little new to that day.  Monorails and little metal robots with fur arranged on them to look like a bear or something else just amazed the audience.  There was an attraction named the Great Bear Jamboree.   Deb and I waited more than an hour twice to see these figures move and sing.  All it was was a tape playing some hillbilly songs, a robot with a bear suit on that would move it's mouth to the song and once in a while nod his head.  I still cannot believe we stood there for two hours to see this.

Later we went to the GE pavilion and got on some thing that rotated around futuristic robotic displays.  In one they had a kid that had a phone that was not hooked to the wall.  I remember whispering to Deb,  "that will never happen".  Guess I was right about that one.  We did somehow manage to have a good time and have since been there with our children.  I am not really sure I care all that much for the place but I am amazed by the fact that the place can attract huge amounts of people with a fake mouse as the central character.

In a few days it was time to return home.  We had our first apartment rented and lots to look forward to.  On the ways down there Deb sat next to me in the car but I did notice on the way back she took her rightful side and joined the world of wifedom.  Once in while she would say something about me driving to fast.  I am not sure she is going to be all that happy about the above paragraph on the bikini either.  But that is the way it has always been around here and somehow life for us has been interesting.

Next something about our first dwelling place and couple of interesting landlords.........until then so long..  Thanks Dave W for the milkshakes......Anna also..

2 comments:

  1. Stan I love these.....you do need to put them in a book...please give Deb a gentle hug for me...thinking of all of you so so so much.....char and lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dad....i think you're dreaming about mom in a bikini. that would never happen, not even when she was 19. i love these stories even though i've heard them all before. something about the way you tell them is quite fun. keep um coming :)

    love, mieke

    ReplyDelete