Thursday, December 5, 2013

Something a little different

I am not sure this fits all that well with some of the stuff I have posted before on this site.  I am am not sure it fits with the theme. Most of you know that the purpose of this blog was to recall some of the fine things and some of the funny things in 38 years of marriage.  But as some of you know I like to write and when my daughter Mieke was granted a full time job as a teacher in the 4th grade and when I found out her theme was "traveling through the 4th grade" I decided to write a story about a young man who endeavored to travel the country on foot.  The purpose of these stories is to educate 4th graders.  Mieke tells me the kids have learned some things from it and that is the goal.  I thought in case any of the readers have 4th graders that some of these stories might make good night time reading material so I thought why not.  Why not publish on this site some of the stories. So I do so with the hope that a few readers might enjoy.  I kind of bang these things out without much editing so please do forgive some of the spelling and grammar issues. Mieke reads them to her class.  This is my first attempt at fictional writing.  I think there is a show on TV "are you smarter than a 5th grader?"  Well go one grade below that and you pretty much have it. I have written 22 stories and Mieke tells me her class is really "getting in to them". Please permit me to publish them one at a time.  If you find them interesting read them!!!  If you do not forget them.  That is the deal.

Story 1-4 They get more interesting after this (trust me)
1. “A Sad Day”
I am sort of sad this morning.  I am sad about two things.  I was supposed to be in your 4th grade class this year and as you can tell I am not there.  So all the other kids got to raise their hand when their name was called and sure enough when you called my name no one was there to raise a hand.  By the way, I have question about that.  How did it get started that if anybody wants to say something they need to raise a hand?  It seems to me that that  might be better just to blurt it out but for some reason that is just not the way it works so perhaps you could give your class some idea of why this may be.  I have never really figured it out.  The other thing that is sort of sad for me is that somehow I have a strange name.  You see my mother’s name was Mary and my father’s name was Blain so when I was born they had this meeting and decided to and they decided to use a few letters from each of their first names and they decided to name me Blarry. I guess that would not be all that bad but so far I have never encountered anybody else with that first name.  Plus get this; my last name is McGarry so I have to walk around all my life with sort of a different name.  Is it Ok if I use my e-maiI to send you stuff?  Plus I would like if you and some of the kids in your class could send me something back once in a while.  I am going to take this huge trip.  I am sort of adventurous but when you have a name like Blarry McGarry what else might you expect.  For now just let me express my apology for not being able to be there today.  I promise if I had been there I would have raised my hand when you called my name.  I wonder if you could go a whole year without anybody just blurting it out without raising their hand. I think it will make your class better!

So here are my adventures.
Your friend Blarry!!!

2.”Hello Again”
So here is the way it is.  I am sure your students wonder a little about a guy like me wandering around the country.  Fact is that I am an orphan.  My parents, when they were alive, always had sort of adventuresome "demeanor" and by the way this is the word of the day.  They sort of taught me to wander around and when they were alive we sort of rambled from town to town and we never really did settle down.  So upon their tragic death I had a very important decision to make.  I could sell their stuff and take a huge trip or I could go to school.  Not sure how decided this but somehow I decided on the  trip. Of course I am not old enough to drive so I what I did is sold their stuff.  Got $5000 for this Ford wagon they owned and another $5,000 for the rest of the stuff.  Cash money.  I found a Meijers near by.  I bought a nice pack for my back.  Bought a tent, and a heating lantern.  And just about everything else I thought I could carry.  You know one thing I thought of is that I would need some really good shoes and for about $100 I bought this pair of one of the finest pair of boots you will ever see.  All in all the stuff I thought I needed came to around $550.  You know something Mrs. Mutschler the other thing I thought I would need is a good map.  And this is one of the nicest things that happened.  The clerk in the store saw all the stuff I was buying.  A gruff old guy behind me saw it as well.  And when I paid my money he kind of saw what I was doing and he stuck out his arm.  I will never forget this because he had a huge tattoo on his left arm.  He said "son, I want to buy you this map."  And he bought for me this $10 map of the whole country.  In his husky voice he said "those of us who like to wander need a good map and I want to buy this for you son".  You know something, it felt good.  It was the first time anybody had called me son in a very long time. Is it OK with you if I tell you about my traveling plans the next time?

Your Friend, Blarry

Story 3

Rainy Day
Can I ask of you just a huge favor?  As you know my plan is to walk around the "perimeter" (word of the day) of our country.  I am sort of thinking I can maybe do around 30 miles per day. Could maybe do more but I think if I did I would get very tired.  Anyway I wonder if one or more of your students could do some research and see about how far I am going to need to walk.  I would like to get this done by the end of the school year and if it is true that I maybe will not be back on time I might need to jump a few trains and maybe pay for a few rides.  Now I am not talking Hawaii and Alaska here. Just what they call the main 48.  Plus if one of your students could find out one more thing.  When did Hawaii and Alaska become states anyway?  It just seems to me that they are so far away. 

Do you have somebody good at arithmetic?  I just measured how far I go with every step.  Do you have someone smart enough to measure how many steps I will need to take on this trip.  I go about 2 1/2 feet with each step. 

You see I bought this thing called a pedometer.  So at least I will know how many steps will be on this trip and I can sort of keep track of this.  This thing cost me about $20 so now with all the money I had to spend on the tent and stuff I only have $9,430 left.  I am going to have to be careful.  It is true that maybe I can pick up a job someplace and paint a fence or something but then I might not make it back in time for the last day of school.

I have all these decisions to make and I could use some help.  You told me you had smart kids in that class.  So before I leave I am trying to figure some of this stuff out.  Plus I could use a list of some things to be careful of on this trip.  I need some advice and I think you know how to get a hold of me, so if possible could you talk this over with your class and let me know your thoughts. i want to leave in a day or so here before  It gets cold and for this to work I have to be in the south before winter so I do not freeze.

Thanks,  Blarry

4.  Popping a Tent-
Thank you for all the help.  I decided something important.  Oh yes I left this morning but I decided it might be smart if I tested all my gear and tent and everything right in the yard of your school. So that is what I did. Before I left I put all of this stuff on the bathroom scale and it all weighs 35 pounds.  I am only about 100 lbs.  So I am becoming concerned about the weight. Sure enough on the 2 mile walk to the school two problems came up.  Even at the end of the 2 miles one of the straps started to rub a sore spot on my shoulder.  Plus these boots.  My little toe does not fit that good in them.  So here is what I did.  I went to the store on Baldwin and bought some cotton padding and instead of boots I bought  some really nice pair of tennis shoes.  I am going to carry the boots along for the rough days. 

Anyway I had something interesting happen when I put my tent up.  I lit the lantern and somehow the light brought in some large bugs.  Before I went to sleep the tent seemed to hum.  Somehow, when I lit the light I could see this large bumblebee. This thing was about the size of a small bird.  I am not sure these things sting but they sure do make a lot of noise with their wings.  No matter what I did I could not get this thing out of the tent so the bee and me had to sleep in the same tent all night.  I woke up the morning and checked to see if I had any welts from a sting but everything was OK.  I opened the door of the tent and the bee flew out. I am OK and so is the bumblebee.

My first day on the road I decided to head to Grand Rapids.  I am going to try and camp by the Gerald R.Ford Museum.  I think it is about 18 miles from here.  But I think I can make it.  I will give you a report on this when I am done.  Right now I just sort of hope the security guards let me set up my tent there and between you and me I hope they do not have bumblebees in Grand Rapids.

Blarry


No comments:

Post a Comment