Monday, October 22, 2012

Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes

I was watching a little kids show the other day and the kids where doing some exercise to a neat little song.  The song went "head and shoulders knees and toes, knees  and toes da da da da da da, and so on. The teacher was getting the kids to exercise and methodically touch these parts of the body in doing so.  I tried it. One thing I noticed was that touching the toes was getting to be a bit more of a challenge.  I think for many of us that I am not alone in this.  If I did reach the toes I was having a bit more problem getting back to the head than I can recall in past years.  I am turning 61 in a week or so. Kind of hard to think about, but it is the truth. The  birthday comes around election day.  (Nov 3)

So I have reported many fine things about Deb and her battle.  Today though I want to tell you a couple of things about her that has always kind of bugged me.  Sometimes, when we are riding in the car she can get a little commanding in the car control department. She does not like it when I leave the windshield wipers on when it is done raining.  She does not like it when I blame all the drivers around me for some rather dumb driving. Plus, she likes to play the radio.  I like it when it is quite. I kind of soak in the things around me.  I will say to her once in a while "I drive so much alone that when I have a hottie like you next to me in the car I prefer to revel in the thought of what people are thinking when they see me with such stunning beauty."  To this she always trots out a two syllable term, the first of which is what you all know as a male cow.

You know, the other thing that bugs me is that when we are riding, and when I go in to one of my quite times, she will interrupt and say this. "Penny for your thoughts?".  Now folks, I have always thought that how after 37 years she might think some of my thoughts were worth more than a penny.  I look for a raise. Perhaps when I turn 61 I will hear "nickle for your thoughts".  Not holding my breath, but something I have always hoped for.

I was sitting in church yesterday and the pastor had a good sermon.  Someplace in the sermon he told about the scene in the garden when they were coming to arrest Jesus. I think it was Peter who got out his sword and hacked off the ear of one of the Romans.  Jesus fixed it.   I think I have been watching too much Law and Order.  I started to wonder how you can hack off an ear without the sword doing some damage to something else.  I picture this as a descending blow that would also hit the shoulder area.  Then I thought some about what would have happened if the sword bearer got the whole head. As I thought I wondered a if Jesus could do heads.   I wondered about  if ears were in the game why not whole heads.  And it was not very long that I started to wonder if it was the whole head, if it was possible for Jesus to get it on straight.  (I think he can sometimes do good at this).  Anyway  that night I had a dream about this Roman with a real sore ear and a real sore head.  I think this is why Deb has concentrated all these years to get me to turn off the windshield wipers sooner and wants to play the radio a little more. It is just so hard for me to listen to these stories and not wonder about them on the way home.  I watched football that afternoon and with all of the violence I am kind of hoping that whole heads are in the realm.  Kind of wonder also why I like football so much.

It is interesting to me as I reflect on this that I often think we might be wise to take these and other writings from these ancient times in a figurative way more than in a literal way.  I wondered if  in that sense those stories might have an even greater meaning.  It seems to me when we might endeavor to think more about this we might reach a point of greater understanding.  Not sure all the reasons, but this is why I was thinking about head and shoulders, knees, ears and toes. Hoping the amputation thereof has the same scope on the big scale.

For now I think it might be best to pay lots of attention to the windshield wipers and let Deb keep the radio on.  Not sure all this is worth the nickle but if it gets you thinking it is worth the penny.  You can bet it on it.

Stan the Man

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Stan...I love your writing and the way you think! Keep it up...and happy birthday, a little early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan, as I read this post and the last one, I am reminded of the late Andy Rooney after 60 minutes.....I liked hearing him talk about the trivia that he mentioned at the time; I kind of feel the same way about your blog. It's worthwhile reading as you ponder many of lifes mysteries. Have a happy birthday. Claudia M (BBC)

    ReplyDelete