Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Miniskirts and Comfort Stations

For a young guy, I had a reasonably nice job in Lansing.  But the boss of that company could be a little demanding and the job did not leave a lot of time for young people to do the things that most young people do. So somewhere along the line I had missed the idea of miniskirts, but I had heard of them, and on my drive down to Grosse Point for the second date I was wondering if the idea of miniskirts had hit that area yet.  I am not sure why I was thinking about this but I just was. That is the last I will say about that except for the fact that I do not think the mom of the house, Sylvia, liked miniskirts all that much.  She bought most of the clothes in that home so I have never yet gone on a date with a person in a miniskirt, but it was worth thinking about.

For some reason around Brighton, I started thinking about Richard Nixon. He was the president and I wondered a little about this. If he were the president, with all those fine chef's in the white house, why did he always looked  kind of constipated.  I kind of thought we were maybe better off with him because the VP, Spiro Agnew looked as though he had a dual case of indigestion and constipation.  You know, I have never been able to get some of those thoughts out of mind. Even though I have voted for a few more republicans lately I have thought to this day they have a slightly constipated (at least the politicians do) look on their face. Maybe not Ronald Reagan but as far as I am concerned the rest of them do. 

I am also not sure why this is coming up right now expect to tell you that on our second date we did have kind of interesting "get to know you better event."  I picked up Deb and this time took her to place on the river by the name of Sinbad's.  We did not look in to each others eyes all that much nor did we have any milkshakes but we did have a nice conversation and meal after which she mentioned that her dad was working downtown in one of the apartment buildings he owned. One one of the units needed a new fridge.   Those of you that know her dad know that he is one of the harder workers. He was not sure we were coming and he had proceeded to strap the refrigerator with straps to his back and he was leaning forward and made it up three flights of stairs. He could not quite manage the 4th. When he saw us arrive he asked if we could help him on the last flight.  Somehow the staircase narrowed and the pullers and the pusher got the thing stuck.  At one point I had to pick Deb up and lift her up a step.   The combination of the exertion, the dinner and everything else caused what I think might have been an air pocket in her abdominal area to escape in a way that in my previous life I was only aware that men could accomplish.

Deb's father is such a proper man. I have about a dozen names for bathrooms. He to this day calls them comfort stations.  He suggested that Deb might be more comfortable if we could find a comfort station for her soon.  I think events like this happen at some point in most successful relationships and for some reason I was glad to have this one out of the way early.

I drove her to her home around midnight because it took a while to get that fridge in.  I held her, this time with my arms around her from the front, and  kissed her.  I said "see you in a couple of weeks" and she said I could come back tomorrow if I wished.   That was not possible this time but I will say that the drive home to Lansing was the first time I have known what falling in love feels like. 

I did not get Deb's permission for this one but I will need it for the next.  Stay tuned..........................


Stan the Man






1 comment: